Uddiyana Bandha Definition
Uddiyana Bandha is roughly translated in English as (Upward) Abdominal lift or lock.
Uddiyana Bandha in Sanskrit also has the same meaning that is Moola is “Root” whereas mudra is a “seal”.
The true purpose of applying this bandha is to trigger the kundalini energy from the bottom of the spine.
The main physical effect of this bandha is that it stabilizes your physical body.
At the energy level, it would help you stabilize the energy throughout the system.
Uddiyana Bandha Effects
It helps in balancing the energy in the energy system and strengthens the root chakra.
Uddiyana Bandha brings vitality to the physical body and higher sexual power.
Uddiyana Bandha is a preliminary bandha for the next stages of bandhas.
You should practice this bandha regularly till you come to a stage where you can hold this bandha for 5-10 minutes without a break.
You can make use of this bandha to increase the effects of pranayama and meditations.
12 amazing benefits of Uddiyana Bandha
How to do Uddiyana Bandha?
Here is a step by step procedure on how to do Uddiyana Bandha.
- You need to stand up to do this Uddiyana Bandha.
- Exhale completely before starting the practice.
- There is a procedure called “Agni Saara kriya” before practicing this bandha.
- For doing agnisaara kriya, you need to be doing a rapid exhalation from the abdomen and the chest.
- This would help release all the toxins from the body initially.
- Then to do the Uddiyana Bandha, slightly bend forward.
- Take the support of your hands to rest on the knees of your legs.
- Exhale completely and hold the breath.
- Try to inhale while keeping the abdomen relaxed.
- You should try to inhale till your abdomen forms a deep concavity that touches the rib cage.
- By this time, you have had sealed the uddiyana. That is you have locked your abdomen.
- Holding the breath, be in this posture for as long as you can.
- Slowly exhale the breath to come back to standing position.
- Repeat the step for 5-10 times as a beginner.
- Increase the number of count of Uddiyana bandha gradually as you progress in holding the breath.
Uddiyana Bandha Video
Please do watch the below video for better clarity on practicing the Uddiyana Bandha.
Follow-up bandha after Uddiyana Bandha:
You can do the Jalandhara Bandha after Uddiyana Bandha. Check out on how to practice Jalandhara Bandha.
START YOUR SPIRITUAL SADHANA TODAY!
Want to learn more about the different Spiritual Sadhanas to practice at your Home? Get an Ebook worth Rs. 499 ($6) for Just Rs. 99 ($3) to practice at your home for overall well-being.
Get an e-Book on Spiritual Practices & Methods to improve your material life.
Bonus: FREE Checklists, Templates, and Resources along with eBook provided.
INSTANT DOWNLOAD!Prajnatma eBook Download