Let us understand Sunyoga in it’s literal meaning. Sun as we know is a planet which sustains the whole creations on this planet earth. Yoga is a word coined by Rishis in Vedas which is taken from the root word Yuj, Yuj means to connect.
Yoga is way to connect our Individual consciousness which we generally referred to as Inner SELF to the supreme consciousness or generally referred to as GOD.
Sun Yoga is a way to merge our individual consciousness with the supreme consciousness through series of practices that have been given in Guru-Shishya (Teacher – Disciple) relationship.
Re-introducing Sun Yoga in 21st Century
Sun Yoga has been taught to Sunyogi Umashankar by Shri Guru Babaji famously known as Mahavatar Babaji (The word coined by a Yogi Paramahamsa Yogananda, you can find more information about him in the book “Autobiography of a Yogi”).
From Sunyogi Umashankar words taken from his book Essence of Sun Yoga:
“The sea of Sun Yoga is very vast and waht I as sadhak have imbibed is but a few drops of its nectar of which only 10% is expressed here. 40% has been omitted intentionally to guide the yearning practitioners through his or her own experience. 50% is extremely difficult to express in words despite attempts. Through the research and experience of Sun Yoga, the yogi has been able to taste only a few drops of its nectar. It is the wish and prayer of this Sun Yogi that the young Sadhaks or aspirants should churn this ocean called Sun Yoga.”
From Feb. 1995 to Feb. 1997 I was at Aurobindo Ashram and it was during this period that Sun Yoga was in its developmental stage.
The science of Sun Yoga was born in Feb. 1997 at Vedaranyam in Nagapattinum District of Tamil Nadu. It came to be known as Sun Yogam in Tamil, Sun Yog in Hindi and Sun Yoga in English.
Sun Yogi Umashankar was in Padayatra during that time he taught Sun Yoga to Mr. Ben Herson of England. He made a website and made this popular throughout the world.
Sun Yoga in Rig Vedas
Sun Yoga can be traced back to Egyptians era.
In fact, the oldest of all the Vedas is Rig Veda and we can find the Sun Yoga practice during that period.
Below is the Rig Veda talking about Sun Yoga.
Om idham sreshtam jyothisham jyohiruthamam
Vidhya vidhya janana jeedhuchyathe brihath.
Vishwa brath brajmahi Sooryadhrisha,
Ooruprpathey ojo achyutam.
– Rig Veda 10/170/3.
Sunlight is the greatest of all light and in its womb it has the manifestation of (Chaitanya Gyan) the ultimate truth. It is vast and it is complete. It adds beauty to the face of everything on earth. It provides light to the entire world and is luminous by itself. Through sun-gazing the darkness of ignorance is dispelled and the ultimate brightness (Sat Chit Aananda) can be experienced.
Om Shangna Soorya Uruchakha Udethu
Shangnascha Thatra Pradherho bharanthu.
Shangna: pawath dhoobaya bhananthu
Shangna: sindhawa shamu santhapah.
– Rig Veda 7/35/8
Oh Sooryanarayana who emerges from the vast brighness of the Sun and who can see us from the Sun and bless us and all living things, mountains and water and bodies on this earth with peace and happiness.
Om savitha parhatha thmavitha purasthath,
Samithontha: raanthath samithadharoonathah
Samitha nah suvathu savitha dhig
Savithane saasamaang dheugamayu.
– Rig Veda 10/36/14
Savitha the creator of the universe on the west, east, north, and south directions please stay all directions. Savitha Devatha, we unconditionally surrender unto you for achieving our ultimate goal of God realization, and for leading a beautiful pure life.
Thus we find many verses in the Rig-veda praising the Sun and Savitha.
Rig Veda 7/35/10
Savitha Narayan and Soorya Shuthi
Rig Veda 6/51/11
Sthuthi of the Savithas
Sun Yoga in Other Vedas
Yajur Veda has a Soorya Sthuthi or praise to the Sun:
Om Chitram devaana mudhgadharifam
Soorya aathma yagatheyde sthutha.
– Shukla Yajur Veda Samhita 7/42
You are the visible friend of fire, water, earth and space.
In Shukla Yajur Veda Samhita 9/9/11/7 there is a sthuthi to Savitha deva.
In Sama Veda 9/10/9-2 there is a Soorya Sthuthi.
Again in Sam Veda 2/21-2-3 there is sthuthi of the Soorya as in Atharva Veda Samhita – 1/6/31/4 Soorya Sthuthi.
In Chandogyopanishad there is a mention of Soorya Upaasana.
Sun Yoga in Bhagavatam
In Srimad Bhagavatam, Chapter 4, Gyan Karma Sanyas Yoga, the 1st Shloka Says:
“Iyam vivashwathey yogam prokthasyaana hamavyam
vivaswanmanavey Pramaksthivakyo Babreeth”
Krishna Said – I had mentioned this imperishable yoga to Soorya, Soorya told Manu and Manu told Ikshwaku. Manu is the king from which the human being was born, Ikshwaku is the son this being.
In this manner this significant yoga was known to generations of Raja Rishi, but over time this yoga has become forgotten on earth.
In ancient days, Sun Yoga was practiced but no proper procedure has been mentioned anywhere. This was known to Mahavatar Babaji, but he did not teach and spread this knowledge as the time was not ripe.
Sun Yoga Masters - Living Examples
Mr. Hira Ratan Manek
Mr. Hira Ratan Manek has claimed that he has literally subsisted, and lived off the Sun’s energy since June 18, 1995.
He has been studied by various researches done in institutions such as the Thomas Jefferson University and University of Pennsylvania.
Not only have they found his claims to be True, but medical evidance found him to be healthier than a normal person of his age (76).
He is the living proof that a person can live just on solar energy for very long periods withouht eating any food.
This has come to be known as HRM Phenomenon. This method has been used to cure all kinds of illness.
Here is a wonderful lecture on Sungazing by Mr. Hira Ratan Manek (HRM). Watch it now.
Sun Yogi Umashankar
Sun Yogi Umashankar as the name suggests he is famous by Sun Yoga. He is the one who spread the teachings of Sun Yoga across the world. Sun Yogi Umashankar was a disciple of Shri Guru Babaji famously known as Mahavatar Babaji.
You can find more information about them in the book “Essence of Sun Yoga” and “Autobiography of a Sun Yogi“.
In fact, Sunyogi Umashankar was also used to survive without food for few years and left the practice on insistance of having food by his disciples and people around him.
Watch the below fascinating video to know how he has survived without food by taking only Sun energy.
Mahavatar Babaji and
Sunyogi Umshankar Connection
You can watch the below interesting videos of Sun Yogi Umashankar meeting his Guru – Mahavatar Babaji.
Sunyogi Uma Sankar’s First Encounter with Mahavatar Babaji.
Sunyogi Uma Sankar’s Second Encounter with Mahavatar Babaji.
Precautions before Sun Yoga Practice
- Should start the practice around 4.00 AM to 8.00 AM till one advances in the practice.
- Stick to the routine for the 90 days.
- Follow Yamas and Niyamas to the best of one’s ability.
- No restrictions of age, caste, creed, gender, or religion as everything falls under the same SUN.
How to do Sun Yoga?
Follow the steps below to practice Sun Yoga at your own home:
Ensure you follow the Yama and Niyams to the best of your ability to gain maximum benefit from this Spiritual Practice.
YAMAS TO BE FOLLOWED:
1. Ahimnsa (Non violence) – Try not to harm anyone with your words, thoughts, and actions.
2. Satya (Truthfulness) – Stick to the truth as far as possible.
3. Astheya (Honesty) – Be transparent with yourself and with the world outside.
4. Brahmacharya – Being in the awareness of Brahman – Try to think about the God always throughout the day every day.
5. Aparigraha (Non greed) – Do not be jealous of someone or something.
NIYAMAS TO BE FOLLOWED:
1. Discipline – Make a resolve that you are going to achieve the goal you have set and finish the daily tasks as per the plan.
2. Punctuality – Stick to the same time and place of the practice as far as possible every single day.
Sun Yoga Level - 1
Follow the video to learn how to do Sun Yoga and practice at your home daily for at least 6 months to 9 months.
Below is the video of Level 1 of Sun Yoga. It is most suitable for Beginner practitioners of Sun Yoga.
Steps to perform Sun Yoga
Here are the steps to be followed diligently every single day for the next 90 days.
- Try to wake up early morning, wash your face, hands, and legs. Start the practice anywhere between 4.00 AM to 6.00 AM.
- The surrounding environment supports you. (Taking the bath is very good. But is optional).
NOTE: Sun rays are very strong and it becomes very difficult for beginners after 8.00 AM. Rays of the Sun will be flat 45 degrees before 8.00AM.
- Sit on a mat and bow down to the mother earth as a sign of gratitude.
- Pay respects to your elders, teachers, guardians, from whom you have learnt, and parents as a sign of respect and gratitude.
- Sit in any of the following aasana: Padmasana, Siddhasana, Gomukhasana, or Vajrasana. Idea is to keep your spine erect. You can sit cross-legged if none of the aasanas you are unable to perform. (People can also sit on a chair but spine should be erect).
NOTE: Sitting on the same place will increase the magnetic vibrations of the place and supports you during the practice.
- Sit facing the Sun. Close your eyes and prepare yourself to see the SUN as a friend.
- Give respects to the Sun mentally and feel it in your heart.
- Mentally visualize your favorite deity and pay your respects to him. For example: Mahavatar Babaji, Buddha, Jesus, Allah, or anyone you think as GOD.
- Slowly open your eyes and fix your gaze at a point between your eyebrows (at Broomadhya).
- Look at the sun with your 3rd eye. Roll your eyes upwards and look 2 inches above the Sun.
- Try not to blink in between. Initially it will feel like difficult but it is not so. Remember you have control over your mind and instruct your mind to fix your attention at the 3rd eye.
- When you feel comfortable, lower your eyes to the same level as the sun.
- Looking at the red sun at sunrise is very easy. Keep gazing without batting an eyelid. In the beginning, your eyes might hurt, may turn red, or may water. (If you feel like not looking at the sun. Do not take too much strain, release the eyes).
- Sun rays will fall on the white part of your eye. You need to gaze your eyes to the level where you will not be able to see the Sun through your eyes but through your 3rd eye. Keep gazing for about 30 minutes.
- Before you release your eyes, close your eyes after 30 minutes of the practice. Squeeze your eyes while closing your eyes and relax. Tight and relax them slowly for three times.
- After the relaxation, focus on your Ajna (eye brows center). Keep focusing there for about 5 minutes.
- Rub your palms and keep them on your eyes. Do this for 3 times. Gently massage the eyelids with the fingertips in a clockwise motion. Do this for 3 times.
- Salute the sun and thank him for helping you in your practice. Pray to the sun for health, peace, prosperity, harmony, unconditional love, and protection for all.
- Lie down in Shavasana posture for about 10 minutes. Start relaxing your body parts by moving your awareness to each body part. By this way you can imbibe the energies you have acquired through Sun to your whole body.
- Once done, slowly open your eyes and come back to the sitting posture. Be grateful to the Sun.
Important Points to remember:
- Through the Pineal gland the practitioner can balance his inner light with the light of the Sun. This can be experienced from the first day of practice.
- When you see the sun like a coin and through that the blue sky then the restless mind will not wander anymore. In all other meditation practices your mind may wander but not through Sun Yoga Meditation.
- If you want to tread the path of Sun Yoga for enlightenment or self-realization you can get initiated into their tradition.
More Information on Sun Yoga
Sun Yoga to prevent Covid-19
Sun Yoga definitely increase your immunity power. The greater the immunity power, greater the ability to prevent any environmental calamities that affect your human system.
Any spiritual practices would help one’s to build immense will power and immunity power which helps one withstand any environmental calamities or covid-19 sort of viruses.
The results lies in the practice. Do not delay your spiritual progress.
Start Practicing Sun Yoga from today.
If you find this post useful, do not forget to share this post with others to help maximum people out there.
You can use any of the platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook, Email, Instagram etc to share the post.
May the divine in you bless you with great health. 🙏 🙏 🙏
#Peace #Love #Light
~ Team Soul Prajñā