What is Sarvangasana?
Sarvangasana is roughly translated in English as Supported Shoulderstand.
Salamba Sarvangasana meaning in sanskrit, “sa” means with , “lamba” means support, “sarva” means all, and “anga” means limb.
It is also called by other name that is Salamba Sarvangasana.
This is an advanced level yogasana which can be performed by the person who is already been practicing the yogasana for a very long time.
The advanced yogasana practitioner can do this without the support of the hands.
The Sarvangasana which is performed without the support is called as Niralambasana.
In Sanskrit, “Niralamba” means without support.
You can use the yogasana mat suggested below and the yoga dress for your convenient.
Sarvangasana effects your whole body system and is the most powerful and important yogasana among other asanas.
It will especially affect the spine, back, and shoulders.
28 wonderful Sarvangasana benefits
- It will help vivify the blood circulatory system, respiratory system, and digestive system.
- More supply of oxygen to the throat, thyroid gland as the blood flows towards the organs during this asana.
- If there are any sexual disorders, it can be cured easily with Salamba Sarvangasana.
- Salamba Sarvangasana cures the disorders with respect to ears, nose, and throat.
- If there are any problems related to heels, can be cured with this asana.
- Hair loss and premature graying of hair can be controlled or put to end completely.
- If you are facing a hernia problem, it can be cured too with Salamba Sarvangasana.
- Kidney disorders can be cured easily with this asana.
- Urinary bladder functions properly after the regular practice of Salamba Sarvangasana.
- It helps in purifying the blood.
- Leukemia can be avoided completely with this asana.
- It brightens the eyesight and quality of hearing can be improved.
- The power of smelling through the nose can be improved too.
- With the regular practice of Salamba Sarvangasana, the shining of the skin can be achieved.
- It will help you avoid shrinking of face skin.
- Body stiffness can be achieved through Salamba Sarvangasana.
- Ashtama, liver disorders, intestinal disorders, constipation, diabetes, insomnia and varicose veins can be cured.
- Salamba Sarvangasana stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- It strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- Keeps the spinal cord flexible.
- The supply of more oxygen through more blood flow in the heart takes place during Sarvangasana which leads to stretching of heart muscles.
- Nourishes the brain with more supply of oxygen through the blood.
- Sarvangasana releases the normal gravitational pressure from the anus muscles which helps with hemorrhoids.
- During this asana, you naturally perform the Jalandhar Bandha which improves the function of the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands due to the increase in oxygen and blood.
- Improved functioning of all other systems of the body and the reduction of emotional and mental stress with Salamba Sarvangasana.
- Lung capacity is increased as the diaphragm is affected by gravity.
- Normalizes the body weight as you will giving pressure to the thyroid glands with this Sarvangasana.
- With this one Sarvangasana, the thymus gland is stimulated which boosts the immune system.
How to do Sarvangasana?
Here is a step by step procedure on how to do Sarvangasana.
Please do watch the below video for better clarity on the asana on how to perform it.
Follow-up Asanas for Sarvangasana
You can do Urdhva Dhanurasana or Shirasasana after doing Sarvangasana.