Kapalabhati is roughly translated in Skull Shinning Kriya.
Kapalabhati in Sanskrit is a combination of two words, Kapala which is referred to as “Skull” whereas Bhati is a “Light”.
The true purpose of performing this kriya is to detoxify the whole energy system.
At the physical level, it has a lot of benefits which we are going to discuss soon. But, with respect to the energy level, it has a tremendous effect.
All the kriyas are at the advanced level, the reason why we say it is advanced is that it mostly concerned with the energy level rather than at the physical level.
When the changes happen at the energy system, naturally improvements get reflected at the physical level too.
This is an advanced level kriya which can be performed by the one who is already been practicing the yogasanas or pranayamas taught in our previous sections.
Do check out our yogasanas section to learn yogasanas from the scratch to advanced level.
Do check out our pranayamas section to learn pranayamas from the scratch to advanced level.
The yoga practitioners will get more benefit out of it.
However, it is useful for beginners too. If you are just starting off, ensure you stick to the practice and reap the benefits over a period of time.
You can use the yogasana mat suggested below and the yoga dress for your convenience and sit in a comfortable posture and then you can start performing the yoga kriyas.
Kapalabhati’s main effect is in purifying the blood and easy flow of blood to the brain which increases the oxygen supply to the brain.
The more oxygen supply the brain gets, effective will be the man’s functionalities in all the aspects of his life.
15 most wonderful benefits of Kapalabhati
You can be in any of the comfortable sitting asana or postures such as Padmasana, Siddhasana, Vajrasana.
If you are not comfortable in any of the postures mentioned above, you can simply cross your legs and sit in a Sukhasana.
If you have any problems sitting on the ground, you can sit on a chair and start practicing the Kapalabhati or any other kriyas.
How to do Kapalabhati?
Here is a step by step procedure on how to do Kapalabhati.
- Sit on your yoga mat comfortably with the preferred or most comfortable yogasana for you.
- Ensure your spine should be erect and at ease.
- Take a few deep breaths and make your body and mind comfortable to start the practice.
- Slowly inhale with awareness completely on your breath.
- Rapidly exhale through your nose.
- Contract lower belly while exhaling.
- Focus your attention at the navel while exhaling. This will help release all the toxins stored up at the solax plexus chakra.
- Do this for 1 cycle which consists of 5-10 times repetition.
- Do Kapalabhati for 20-30 cycles that are around 100 times of rapid exhalation.
- The exhalation in Kapalabhati is created only by the inward-thrusting abdomen, not by any accessory muscles.
- No effort to be made during kapalbhati kriya during inhalation.
- Inhalation should be smooth but exhalation should be forceful.
- Awareness should be on the exhalation.
Please do watch the below video for better clarity on practicing the yoga kriya.
Follow-up Yoga Kriyas after Vasti Kriya (Basti Kriya)
You can do any of the 5 yoga kriyas before doing Vasti Kriya (Basti Kriya).
Do check out them for more information on list of all Yoga Kriyas.
Want to be a Mudra Expert?
Do check out these 34 fascinating books on Yogasana to Yoga Kriyas for beginner to advanced levels for more information.
START YOUR SPIRITUAL SADHANA TODAY!
Want to learn more about the different Spiritual Sadhanas to practice at your Home? Get an Ebook worth Rs. 499 ($6) for Just Rs. 99 ($3) to practice at your home for overall well-being.
Get an e-Book on Spiritual Practices & Methods to improve your material life.
Bonus: FREE Checklists, Templates, and Resources along with eBook provided.
INSTANT DOWNLOAD!Prajnatma eBook Download