What is Dhauti Kriya?
Dhauti is one of the Hatha Yoga Kriyas known as Shatkarmas.
Dhauti is divided into 3 groups.
Antar Dhauti (Internal Cleansing ), Danta Dhauti (Head Cleansing), and Hrid Dhauti (Thoracic Cleansing).
All the kriyas are at an advanced level, the reason why we say it is advanced is that it mostly concerned with the energy level rather than at the physical level.
When the changes happen at the energy system, naturally improvements get reflected at the physical level too.
This is an advanced level kriya which can be performed by the one who is already been practicing the yogasanas or pranayamas taught in our previous sections.
Do check out our yogasanas section to learn yogasanas from scratch to advanced level.
Do check out our pranayamas section to learn pranayamas from scratch to advanced level.
The practitioners of yoga who is been practicing for a few years will get a huge benefit out of it.
However, there is nothing wrong with practicing this kriya as a beginner under the guidance of a teacher.
Most amazing 21 benefits of Dhauti Kriya
- Jala Dhauti or Kunjal Dhauti controls the acidity.
- Jala Dhauti helps to get rid off the allergies.
- Kunjal Dhauti will help eliminates halitosis (bad breath).
- With regular practice of this kriya, jaundice can be avoided easily.
- Breathing problems can be eliminated and removes the headache.
- Sutra Dhauti purifies the stomach.
- This helps in purifying the upper respiratory tract.
- If you are suffering from dust allergies or pollen allergies, this kriya is the best.
- Dhauti Kriya, in general, helps in curing diseases like spleen, leprosy, cough, and asthma.
- It balances the three doshas in the body i.e., Kapha, Vata, and Pitta.
- Most of the bacterias get stored in stomach in human body. This kriya would help in removing them at the most subtle level.
- Regular practice of this kriya for several months can completely remove the dark circles.
- The easy way to take place in the human body for baterias is mouth. This kriya would help in removing them from your mouth.
- Dhauti will also increase the formation of saliva by stimulating salivary glands.
- Out of all the Shatkarma Kriyas Dhauti is best for removing the leftover food residues in the stomach.
- Vamana Dhauti is beneficial in increasing the efficiency of the functions of Kidneys, Liver, and Intestines.
- This would help control obesity, diabetes, gas, flatulence, and constipation.
- This will give a message to the internal organs.
- The main advantage of Vastra Dhauti is that it helps in getting a glowing skin by eliminating skin problems.
- One of the advantages of Danda Dhauti would help in increased appetite.
Things required to practice the Dhauti?
Below are the things which are required to do Dhauti Kriya.
- A Pot – You can use the pot to perform Jala Dhauti kriya. A small pot that can store lukewarm water.
- A thin while and a clean cloth – This can be used to perform Vastra Dhauti.
- Nails should be cut off while performing Vamana Dhauti. Keep your hands very clean and hygiene before performing the Vamana kriya.
- Lukewarm Water – Do not use the cold water, as your nose gets blocked. So use lukewarm water. It will help to cleanse the bacterias.
- A Pinch of Salt – Salt help removes the microscopic bacterias.
- Round Flexible Stick – This is to perform Danda Dhauti, it is sent down your stomach through the mouth.
- A Clean and Long Thread – To perform Vastra Dhauti, you need this.
Let us now look into how can we perform each type of kriya one by one.
1) What is Danta Dhauti?
Danta means teeth and Mula means root. Danta Dhauti is further divided into 4 ways.
- Danta Mula
How to do Danta Mula Dhauti?
This is to cleanse your teeth from the root. Here is a step by step procedure on how to do Danta Mula Dhauti.
How to do Jhiva Dhauti?
Jhiva means tongue. This is to cleanse your tongue.
How to do Karna Dhauti?
Karna means ear. This is to cleanse the ear which enables one to listen to the mystical sounds during the deeper levels of meditational practices.
How to do Kapala Randhra Dhauti?
Kapala means skull and Randhra means hole. This is to message the front part of your head.
2) What is Antar Dhauti Kriya?
Antar in English is internal. It is to cleanse the lower part of your stomach region and large intestine.
This is again divided into four types.
How to do Vatsara Dhauti?
In this method, we use air to cleanse the lower abdominal region.
Vatsara in English is drinking of air.
How to do Varisara Dhauti?
In this method, you will be using water to cleanse the entire digestive tract from mouth to the anus.
This is also called as Shankhaprakshalana Dhauti.
How to do Agnisara Dhauti?
This kriya is to generate heat energy in your navel region. You use heat as the medium to cleanse the abdominal region.
This is also called as Vahnisara Kriya.
How to do Bahiskrita Dhauti?
This is to cleanse your whole body by holding the air inside. This kriya would bring you the body of God.
3) What is Hrid Dhauti?
Hrid means heart in English. This is the cleanse the organs nearby the heart region. This kriya is again divided into 3 types.
How to do Danda Dhauti?
How to do Vastra Dhauti?
This can be performed using Vastra meaning Cloth.
How to do Vamana Dhauti?
Vamana means vomiting. This can be done using lukewarm water.
4) What is Moola Shodhana Dhauti ?
This is to cleanse the rectum using a soft turmeric root.
How to do Moola Shodhana Dhauti?
You can use turmeric root or your own middle finger (Extra grown nails should be cut off from your finger before performing this kriya).
START YOUR SPIRITUAL SADHANA TODAY!
Want to learn more about the different Spiritual Sadhanas to practice at your Home? Get an Ebook worth Rs. 499 ($6) for Just Rs. 99 ($3) to practice at your home for overall well-being.
Get an e-Book on Spiritual Practices & Methods to improve your material life.
Bonus: FREE Checklists, Templates, and Resources along with eBook provided.
INSTANT DOWNLOAD!Prajnatma eBook Download